How Do I...?
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get a library card?
- Please see our Circulation Page
- I have a card from another Pinellas County library. Do I need an Oldsmar card to check out?
- No. A card from any Pinellas Public Library Consortium library is good at all other PPLC libraries.
- What is my "password" on the catalog?
- The default password is the last 4 digits of your phone number. If this does not work, please call our Circulation Desk at 813-749-1173 for assistance.
- May other people use my library card if I allow it or give written permission?
- No. We require that the card holder be present when his/her card is used. This is a long-standing Oldsmar Library policy and is for your protection.
- How long can I keep materials for?/How many movies (books, audiobooks, etc.) am I allowed to check out?
- Please see our Checkout Periods and Limits
- Can I return items checked out at another library to your library and vice versa?
- All Oldsmar library materials may be returned to any Pinellas County (PPLC) library and vice versa.
- How may I find out what I have checked out, on hold or overdue?
- You may ask our Circulation Department (in person or by phone 813-749-1173), or access your account online through our catalog.
- From any page of our catalog, click on the "patron account" tab, enter your barcode number and password. Click on "items out" in the blue bar.
- How do I renew materials?
- You can renew materials in person (with or without materials present) at the Circulation Desk, by phone at 813-749-1173 (please have your library card number available), or through our catalog.
- Follow the login procedure above. On the "items out" screen, check the box next to the items you wish to renew and click "renew selected items" at the bottom of the screen.
- You cannot renew materials if they are late, if someone else is waiting for them or if you have exceeded the maximum number of renewals. Please call the Circulation Desk with any questions or problems.
- How do I request an item I find in the catalog?
- In house, please ask a staff member to assist you. You can also request materials by phone (813-749-1181 for Adult Services or 813-749-1179 for Children's Services) or by clicking on the "Place Request" button when searching our catalog and following the login procedure above.
- How can I obtain an item that I don't find in your catalog?
- Try Florida Library Navigator, which shows you items owned by libraries outside of Pinellas County. Please search our catalog first before ordering items through Navigator, and keep in mind that delivery could take up to two weeks or more!
- Your library of choice on Navigator is PPLC (Pinellas Public Library Cooperative) and your username/password are your library card # and pin (same as you use to log in to our PALS catalog).
- Reference staff will also help with Navigator requests in house or by phone. Please call 813-749-1181 with any questions.
- Do you have a photocopier?
- Yes, it is self-serve and located between the Circulation Desk and the Reference Desk. Copies are $.25/each, black & white only.
- Do you have a scanner?
- Yes, we offer free self-serve scanning on one of the adult computers. Ask at the Reference Desk for help.
- Do you offer fax service?
- We offer fax service (outgoing ONLY) for $.50/page, local or long distance within the USA only. Please stop by the Circulation Desk for assistance.
- Do you have study rooms?
- We have one conference room available for two hours maximum on a first-come, first-served basis. Please see our Conference Room Policy.
- Who do I talk to about renting the TECO Hall meeting room?
- You can read more details here or call 813-749-1260.
- Do you have a notary?
- No, the library does not have a notary on staff.
- Can I register to vote there?
- Yes, we have forms available for you to do so.
- Do you have tax forms?
- From January through April, we provide the most commonly used federal tax forms in the arcade area.
Please remember that you can also download and print almost all federal tax forms from the IRS website at www.irs.gov or request them via phone at
- Do you take donations of used books or magazines?
- Yes, but please read our donations policy before donating.
- Can I leave my child there unattended?
- All children 7 and under must be accompanied by an adult at all times in the library.
- How old does my child have to be to get his/her own card?
- We issue cards to children aged 5 and up. Children 5-13 need the signature of a parent or guardian, those 14 and up may use a school ID.
- Do you have Reading Counts quizzes?
- No, but we can help you find books and make sure they're on your school's list!
- When are your storytimes?
- Generally we have Toddler Time at 10 am on Mondays and Tuesdays and Pre-school Storytime at 10 am on Thursdays, but please check the schedule on the Children's Page or Events Calendar as this is subject to change due to holidays and the Summer Reading Program.
- Do you have internet computers?
- We have 12 public computers with internet access for teens/adults and 3 for children. Please see our Internet Code of Conduct for more information.
- Can I access your internet with my laptop?
- We offer free wireless (wifi) service throughout the building. We do not have any ports where a laptop may be plugged in to our internet service. Please see our Wireless Internet Policies for more information.
- May I print from your computers?
- Yes, printing is $.10 per page. The adult computers are connected to a black & white high speed laser printer, the children's computers to a color laser printer.
- Can I bring in my own paper?
- No. Since the printer is networked we cannot allow the use of any personal paper for any purpose.
- What programs are available on your computers?
- All computers have web browsers as well as Office2010 (Access, Excel, Power Point and Word).
- Can I save something to your computers?
- You can save items to the hard drive of one of our computers temporarily, but all files are erased nightly. You may bring your own flash drive to use.
Don't see the answer to your question?
Please give us a call or email us!
Last updated 04/25/2016