Oldsmar Public Library Confidentiality Policy
CONFIDENTIALITY OF LIBRARY RECORDS
It is the intent of the Oldsmar Library to protect the privacy of those who use the Library. The Library collects and maintains only the minimum number of records necessary for maintaining operations.
In accordance with Florida State Statute 257.261, the Oldsmar Library shall not disclose any record or other information that identifies a user of the library services as requesting or obtaining specific materials or services or as otherwise using the Library. Library user records may be disclosed only in the following circumstances:
- In accordance with a proper judicial order or if a court order, search warrant or subpoena is issued. Before complying, the library will consult the City of Oldsmar Attorney to assure the document is in proper form.
- For the purpose of collecting fines or recovering overdue books, documents, videos, or other items of materials owned or otherwise belonging to the library only, the library may disclose information to:
- The library patron named in the records
- In the case of a library patron less than 14 years of age, the parent or guardian of that patron named in the records
- Any entity that collects fines on behalf of the library
- Municipal or county law enforcement officials
- Judicial officials
Any person who violates the Statute commits a misdemeanor of the second degree.
Library users should be aware that the USA Patriot Act of 2001 increases the authority of federal investigative agencies to compel the disclosure of personal information through use of orders duly issued by a federal court of lawful jurisdiction. Under provisions of the act, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and law enforcement officials may seek court orders for library records for investigations relevant to national security or terrorism. Libraries or librarians served with these orders may not disclose, under penalty of law, the existence of the orders or the fact that records were produced as a result of the orders. Library users cannot be told their records were given to law enforcement agencies or that they were the subjects of FBI investigations.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONSULT THE LIBRARY'S PRIVACY STATEMENT